If you want to use your GPS tracker for kids or for personal safety we recommend the following settings. These are only suggestions, but using them as a guide will help you to get the most out of your personal tracker for your needs.
Personal GPS Tracker Settings
We recommend the Unlimited Data Plan for tracking people as it enables motion detection. Find out how to update your data plan here.
Follow the steps below to set up your personal GPS tracker:
1. Open the Lightbug App or go to the Web Portal
2. Go to 'Settings', then to the 'Configuration' page
2. Choose 'Easy' for the Configuration Mode
3. Give your tracker a name and dot colour so it can be easily identified
4. Select 'Motion Tracking' for the Mode
5. Choose your preferred update rate for when the device is moving and when stationary
Note: Longer intervals between location updates will increase battery life
6. If your device is often at home, enable 'Disable GPS when near home Wi-Fi' and enter your home Wi-Fi network name to increase battery life
Caution: There may be a delay between your device leaving home and motion detection be re-enabled. Do not use this setting if you need fast alerts.
A few things to note:
- Settings are automatically saved and will be applied at the next location update. Alternatively, to apply the new settings immediately, press the button on your tracker for 3 seconds
- The battery life shown is only a estimate and not guaranteed
- Some variables that affect battery life include: where the device is mounted, poor signal areas, extremely high/low temperatures and motion sensitivity
Should you have any questions on how to best set up your personal GPS tracker, let us know!